View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 09:22 PM
Luke. 2 or 4 wheels

Mein Auto: 04 Yamaha R1, 91 BMW 318i
Oil Leak, Changing Tappets and Oil Pan Gasket

Hey so I know my Bmw is an e36 but the engine is a M40 which I think some e30's had, so you guys may be able to help with the oil leak.

Ok so my day started alright, my goal was to change the tie rods. Which was fine jacked my car up, wheels off, had all the parts I needed except when I got under the car I noticed I had an oil leak. Now I don't know where it's leaking from. It is coming from higher than the oil sump so its not that gasket and also not from the camshaft gasket, any ideas?

As for the tie rods I only got as far as the inner ball joint, which needs a thin 32mm spanner. No luck on picking one up so thats on order.

So then I was like ok fine I can change out my noisy tappets out for the new ones I had received last week. And because I"m lazy and don't want to take apart the camshaft I used this awsome tool to remove the tappets. Made by Midlock 13168. It depresses the valve spring enough to slide the rocker arm out and then you can just pull the tappet out.

All was well until one of the thrust adapters (sits between the rocker arm and valve spring) fell down a oil filler hole Couldn't beleive I hadn't plugged the holes, just got too excited and rushed it. So I"m hoping to flush that hole with oil and then drain the oil. Fingers crossed it comes out. Oil pan may have to come off at the worst... I hope.

All in all a f***ing fantastic day

Update

Ok so just a little update on the currrent progress. I have started to locate the oil leak, I'm thinking that it is the gasket or O-ring from the oil filter housing. So I've hit that up started by taking out the air box, alternator and then the plate/bracket for the alternator and then finally the oil filter housing. Can't say that it looked like it was leaking... but hoping new o-ring and gasket will solve that problem. The engine is a M40 btw USA were lucky enough not to get them.

Best part of this job is I get to clean some parts. Best feeling is putting some clean parts back into the engine.

Didn't have any luck fishing out the thrust adapter so guess what the oil pan is coming off Not really looking foward to that job but has to be done. I don't want one of these floating around in the engine

So as soon as I've got a engine support bar and oil pan gasket I'll be set. I need an engine support bar because I will need to remove the front crossmember to get to the oil pan which is supporting the engine. Also have to remove control arms, sway bar and steering rack. Seems like a good time to replace the engine mounts but will see.

So I think thats it I did get my flat spanner 30/32mm for the tie rods but that seems like a long way off haha. My tie rods take a 32mm btw.

Advertisement