View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 12:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I think the idea of putting the screen up high so that the driver does not have to look down to see it makes a certain amount of sense but in reality if you are looking at the iDrive screen you are not looking at the road regardless of where the screen is situated.

You can easily demonstrate this to yourself by holding your smart phone in your direct line of site and then looking at an object in the distance.

If you are looking at the screen you are not seeing far enough ahead to be driving safely regardless of where it is placed so it is going to be necessary to view the screen in "short bursts and constantly refocus on the road ahead. I don't think that the fact that the F30 screen is slightly higher than the one in the E90 is going to make much of a difference.

As for the aesthetics, that is a matter of taste. I personally don't think it is horrible but I think it could have been better integrated into the interior design. Would not be a deal breaker for me if I was interested in purchasing an F30.

CA
+1. Your logic applies even with HUDs. The brain concentrates on what its sensors (eyes in this instance) are looking at. Call it tunnel-vision or whatever, but if the brain is concentrating on a displayed image, it won't pick up other images in the surrounding area. In a previous life, I owned a 2003 Corvette that was equipped with the HUD option. The HUD display was the definition of cool, but I found myself being distracted to the HUD instead of looking for CHPs wanting to make their ticket quota.