View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 12:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
+1. Your logic applies even with HUDs. The brain concentrates on what its sensors (eyes in this instance) are looking at. Call it tunnel-vision or whatever, but if the brain is concentrating on a displayed image, it won't pick up other images in the surrounding area. In a previous life, I owned a 2003 Corvette that was equipped with the HUD option. The HUD display was the definition of cool, but I found myself being distracted to the HUD instead of looking for CHPs wanting to make their ticket quota.
In the Corvette HUD, it's located on the windshield at eye level straight ahead of your seating position. Just glancing at it for speed information while driving on public roads is not going to distract your train of thought or vision on the road for more than a second or two. But, taking your eyes off of the road to look to the right to view GPS or trip information is much more of a distraction, IMO, regardless if it was located above or below the air vents.

Where and how this screen is located on the F30 is a deal breaker for me, even if I were in the market for another car at this point which I am not. I'm very happy with my 335is convertible with the integrated GPS screen.

Last edited by beden1; 10-07-2012 at 12:40 PM.