View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 08:22 PM

Mein Auto: '98 528i
Unknown Dash Lights

This is my first post to any BMW site. I just joined the world of BMW owners 2 months ago and I feel like I am now a member of an elite community. My car is a 1998 528i that was purchased at an auction 2 owners ago. The last owner only had the car for about a month before selling it to me and never drove it. He is not a fan of BMWs. He thinks that BMW means "Break My Windows". At any rate, he was happy to unload it and I was all too happy to buy it.

So.. being new to BMWs, I don't know much about anything BMW centric. I have searched through the forums and have not been able to find the answer to my burning question... WHAT ARE THESE LIGHT AND WHY DON'T THEY APPEAR IN ANY DOCUMENTATION?"

My assumption is that they were added by an owner prior to this car's previous owner and are not factory. The previous owner hasn't a clue what they are for... he suspected that they were part of an alarm system. The light on the right (light "a") blinks on and off every 3 seconds. This interval does not change, even when the car is parked and the ignition is in the ACC position. The one on the left (light "b") blinks randomly... usually while just driving normally. It is typically off though, as in this picture. The light further to the right (light "c") is always steady and is always lit. Not knowing what normal aftermarket items are for BMWs, I figured that SOMEONE in our fine community of owners might know exactly what these are for.

Thanks for taking a minute to read my post.
Thanks even more if you respond to it.

BTW... I was able to remedy the -40F problem that everyone has when their Ambient Temperature Sensor heads south. Purchased a new one off Amazon and installed it this weekend, thanks to all of the helpful posts regarding this topic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW Dash Lights.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	344734  
Advertisement