View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 05:58 AM

Mein Auto: e28 1987 535i M Spec
BENTLEY'S PUBLICATIONS 1982 - 88 5 Series Workshop Manual

OK.......

I have just recently received my BENTLEY'S workshop manual sent from the UK......

While I have noticed from other posts as to the praise that this Manual has been given and the broad amount of information it has, I have found that this WORKSHOP MANUAL as "INFORMATIVE" and yet is useless as to what task I am seeking.........

Some time back I posted on this FORUM as to the method...... "IF ANY POSSIBLE" as to adjusting the steering column....... while it took some time for me to get a result, I somewhat managed to OOGLE GOOGLE the e28 owners manual in a pathetic version of a PDF FORMAT in "RUSSIAN".....

Now I am not in any way a linguist or able to speak Russian, but did find inside as to the operation of the adjuster lever in 1 of the diagrams........ HOORAY...... the column goes in and out..... (exactly what I want done...... BOOOOOO the column does not go up or down....... SHHHHHHHIIIIIZZZZZ......

OK...... so far so good.........

eventually I did get some input as to the LOCK NUT down under the column near the firewall....... while mine is somewhat TIGHT...... very very TIGHT..... it is not seized up..... I sprayed some RP7 (similar to WD40) on and around the nut and column and slowly slowly I managed to creak a little turn ... with the spanner adjusted to the nut size and hard up against the transmission hump on the left side of column..... If I turn hard enough the steering wheel (with engine running and power steering to make easier) to the right I guess it is bound to loosen up.....

I love my car and I love my stomach and hoping this column will come to a compromise and allow the 2 to co-exist in the car.......

The BENTLEY'S isn't exactly the BIBLE I expected it to be for the e28...... fancy making no reference at all to the adjustable column while the lever is clearly seen in several of the diagrams inside...: confused:

Sorry GUYS AND GIRLS but I had to get this off my chest.......

Stephen

An almost proud owner of a 1987 e28 535i M Spec
Advertisement