Thread: 550x vs Audi S6
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 06:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: See Sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by ish View Post
That is exactly what I did... all the same equipment, except the Audi didn't have rear shades and the Audi S6 was 6k more out the door ( 1k more MSRP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth8 View Post
Sticker Prices will still be less on the BMW. My well-loaded 550i M-Sport that I ordered has all major options except ARS, Active Steering, Heads-Up, Nappa Leather and Active Cruise Control. I think the MSPR was $73k plus the cost of the carbon fiber rear spoiler(and paint). I paid invoice plus $1,000-$1,000 BMW loyalty. When I checked the A6 about a year ago it was priced just a bit less when well optioned and the SoCal Dealers all wanted sticker. To me the Audi looked much cheaper.

Further, by adding ACS Springs, Dinan S2, HRE 20" P40 SC Brushed Clear Wheels and M5 Grills, I do not think that an S6 would be a step up. RS6 perhaps, but that will likely be very expensive and I really do not have any need or AWD.
Okay, the problem is that ya'll are implying that the S6 and 550 are the direct competitors and I don't think they are. My point was meant to be a general statement about comparable Audi vs BMW. Try pricing comparable A6 and 528/535 (using the A6 comparable engine).

The S6 actually slots between the 550 and M5. From a handing standpoint it is an M5 competitor, from a straight line speed standpoint is is almost exactly half way between the 550 and M5.

I know that some folks will be looking up at the S6 compared to a 550, and some folks will be looking down at the S6 compared to a M5. Frankly, I think we have to hand it to Audi for slotting the S6 where they did. It is close enough in price to a 550 to peak our interest. I clearly would not pay the $100K for a M5, but getting a S6 in maybe the high 70s I would have to think long and hard about.