View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 07:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I think Japan is really in a tough position. Before the Fukushima accident, Japan was the world's third biggest user of nuclear power, they had planned to increase nuclear's share of the energy mix to 50% by 2030. As a result of the Fukushima accident, Japan has recently announced plans to end its reliance on nuclear power within 30 years. This signals a major shift in how the country will get its power source from. Japan's need for oil and natural gas will increase due to its shift from nuclear power generation. Either way, this will be a lose lose situation for Japan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
Yeah, it's becoming an issue of national security, which, unfortunately is how wars get started.
I view this as not a Japanese play for oil near the islands, but simply a display of nationalism in response to economic slowdown. I seriously doubt Japan has any plans to go develop the oil fields in that area.

As always, Japan's timing is incredibly poor, giving Chinese nationalism an excuse to fire up during their own economic slowdown. Japanese companies are begging their government to cut the crap, they're getting crushed.

Regardless, European and American car companies are benefitting.