View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: 528it
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
See also:
- How to understand the BMW E39 EWS alarm drive-away protection system (1) (2) (pdf) & troubleshoot the alarm & hood switch (1) (2) (3) (4) or replace the siren (1) or disabling or enabling the unlock chirp (1) (2) (3) & how to maintain (1) and repair your hood release bowden cable (1) (2) (3)
Thank you for the reply. I have read many of the posts listed and am further intrigued to see a reference to the batteries in the siren again. On another BMW forum, there is someone who took apart the siren to get at the batteries within, while he did get inside, the siren had to be cut open, thus ruining it. I have a pretty hard head and don't like being told by a designer that something just has to be thrown away because of their pi55-poor design. I am going to put my POS on the lift and remove the siren then see if it will run without it. If so, I will start experimenting with a disassembly to get at the batteries. I'm sure Radio Shack can source the batteries. I am not going to pay $150 freaking dollars because some short-sighted engineer decided to put batteries in the car's permanently sealed siren.

As the old saying goes, necessity is the mother of all invention...

One final question regarding the sensors:

Are there any other sensors which can be disconnected on a 528it besides the hood and interior roof sensor?

Thank You