View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cectra View Post
Thanks, Mulchman! The dealer's explanation is that even though the code says "Map cooling thermostat mechanically stuck," "on vehicles equipped with the N62B44 engine manufactured from 09/04 through 12/04 (mine fits right in), replace the wiring harness and the temperature sensor."

When the Indy shop ran it for codes they picked up something else about the coolant, can't remember exactly. It didn't pop up at the dealer a week ago.

Was there ever a recall or anything else to get BMW to replace the faulty engine harness? I can't find it now but seem to remember reading something about it.

More areas of concern that may or may not be related to this problem:
1. Sat radio cuts our for a sec occasionally.
2. iDrive is slow to start, delayed parking sensors, Menu activation, etc. I disconnected the blutooth but I think it started to slow things down when we paired the phones.
3. When starting from cold, it takes a couple of seconds for the engine to catch properly. I get this ch-ch-ch-chrrrrr LOL

Thanks! And please share anything you know about it!
Well since you have an earlier production, you may want to start with checking to see if the battery was ever replaced and if so, if was coded properly to the car. You will be surprise at how power hungry this car is for electrical power. You're basically driving a PC on wheels.
On the issue of the slow iDrive response, you may also want to check and see if the dealer can provide an software update. When I had my 04, I had this done when I was trying to get MP3 playback working. It responded much better after an update.
The idea of replacing the thremastat is a valid one since a few have done it and the check engine error cleared up. This is not an expensive job and I hope that it's that and not anything to do with a wire harness. So try the least expensive stuff first and see what happens.

Previous Cars:
2008 650 Convertible 6 speed manual
2004 645 Convertible 6 speed manual
1994 540 6 speed manual