View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M sport
Wink auto start stop feature

I picked up my third carbon black bimmer a couple weeks ago. I had a 2000 M5, a 2010 535i M sport, and now a 2013 535i M sport. Love the color!!! (obviously). The 2013 model feels larger than the 2010 model due to longer wheelbase. The auto start stop feature is weird, however; I haven't decided whether I like it or not. After I learned how to shut it off by pushing in the "off" feature below the start button, I felt more in control. Now I leave the feature activated depending on what kind of driving I'm doing. If few stops along the route and not much traffic, I leave it on. If lots of stops, I turn it off. Since I lease a new car every three years, I'm not concerned about wear and tear on the ignition or other parts, per se. I'm interested in seeing what the feature yields in terms of gas mileage compared to the 2010 535i I had previously which averaged about 19.2 MPG on average (I don't drive on long trips).The freaky thing about the feature is when you come to a stop sign and try to avoid having the engine stop by not coming to a complete standstill (which of course is illegal); you can prevent stalling by turning the steering wheel slightly or hitting the break a little harder....it gets to be a game between you and the car!! I'll probably end up going to the dealer and having the feature disabled.

I'm concerned that BMW is moving away from producing drivers' cars and moving towards having cars drive themselves!!!