View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW Z4
I don't know if I'm the only one on this forum with the SmartTop. I have to believe there are others. However, most of the chatter moved off to a different forum -- ZPost. You can find more discussion there.

Now, I know that a lot of people have had top issues with the SmartTop installed, and because of that BMW would not warranty the work and they had to pay for it out-of-pocket. Whether the problems were caused by the SmartTop installed -- hard to say. However, it is definitely true that if you have the Smarttop installed, BMW will not fix any of these issues under warranty.

But from my end ... I LOVE the SmartTop. I have not had any issues with it. I have the later Plug-n-play model, and am able to install and de-install it within 15 minutes easy.

I actually like the other features of the SmartTop that are often under-appreciated. I like having the mirrors automatically fold in when I lock the door. I like to be able to unlock both locks when opening the door from the outside using a special touch sequence. I even like the ability to roll up all windows with a one-touch operation.

My SmartTop is configured to open/close while moving up to 25mph. I have stopped doing that since I've read that the top mechanism isn't strong enough to withstand that usage. Therefore, I usually only open/close it while only going about 10-15mph now.

I'm curious as to what others in this forum have to say. I know you're out there!