View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
And the winner is . . . . . . . . .

At 4:45 pm today I got the call to come pick up the car.

The service report reads:

22436 PERFORMED SHORT TEST AND FOUND NO FAULTS. PERFORMED ENERGY DIAG TEST PLAN AND FOUND UNFAVOURABLE USER BEHAVIOUR. PERFORMED MIDTRONICS TEST AND FOUND BATTERY AND CHARGING SYSTEM TO PASS. RETESTED SYSTEM WITH MIDTRONIC IN THE MORNING AND BATTERY PASSED. RECHARGED BATTERY. AFTER CHARGING BATTERY RESET ADAPTATIONS AND CLEARED FAULTS.

SA and Service Tech recommendations are: Lock car when coming home at night even though it is in garage, as it will make car go to sleep more rapidly. Drive it more.

Concensus is that I'm not putting enough miles/time interval on the car.

Other option is to opt for the trickle charger/battery tender approach as it doesn't wear out tires and burn gasoline.

Soooo, redirecting my own thread here:

1) Is a battery tender the same thing as a battery charger with trickle charging capablilites? i.e. we have a vintage JC Penneys battery charger that can also trickle charge at 2 amp. What makes a branded "Battery Tender" better?

2) How often is it prudent to trickle charge or "tend" the battery and can it be overdone?

3) Is christening the car Christine at this point a little harsh and just asking for trouble?

Hopefully, this really was a one time glitch and not a 'bug' in the car's electronics. I am really fighting the urge to go tear the trim panels out of the trunk and check the status of the Magic-Eye.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793