View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
If your engine is surging at cold startup, I would believe that you have a faulty thermostat. Codes will show up in the BMW software, that will not show up on the generic OBD2 readers. The thermostat is a round 75.00, & can be installed in around 30 to 45 minutes. Believe it or not, low coolant % can throw a thermostat code. I found this while troubleshooting my thermostat using DIS. If you change the thermostat, flush the coolant while you have the system open. Get 2 gallons of BMW coolant to refill the system. The price can be between 17 to 25.00 a gallon, depending on your dealers pricing.

You can now buy a battery anywhere, at most automotive parts store. Some might install it for free, but it must be registered to the car by someone with BMW software. You can buy a new battery from 135.00 to 200.00 depending where you buy it. Make sure it is the correct battery for your car. The good thing about aftermarket batteries is that you get a 6 year warranty on most. BMW will only give you a 2 year warranty.

The IDrive is very slow on a 645 do to it's technology at the time. You learn to live with it. Your SAT radio will have poor reception for the same reason. BMW replaced my whole radio system for this same reason, & it still works poorly! Find a good mechanic that you can trust, that works on BMW's. If not, the dealer is your only choice.

Good Luck!