View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 06:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzzo View Post
I also apologize for the hijack, but where were you staying? When I'm in Shenzhen, Shanghai or Bejing, I eat pretty well for 20 RMB or $3. Fancy meals in fancy places are certainly more but still around hald what I'd pay in the states for what I get. Per person for under 300 RMB you can eat like a king.

Wine is a different story and usually not worth getting at all. Most I've gotten is not only expensive but poorly stored.
Shanghai, outside of Shanghai we stayed with pre-paid tour packages.

In Shanghai we visited an old friend of my dad several times. They were school buddies before the communists took over. After 40 years he went back found his childhood buddy. The guy was an iron man, locked up by the communists several times for the most part of the 40 years but lived to tell.

Since we were familiar with Shanghai, we sought out many eating places, from upscale to hole in the wall kind. Ten years ago it was cheap, but now I can honestly say we never found a place we could eat "pretty well" for 20 RMB per person.

I agree with you about the wine. There were places that knew how to store and serve wine, but they were upscale and very expensive. After we got back, went to or local favorite wine tasting diner, had some real good wine and a nice meal, for half what we spent in a similar quality place in Shanghai.