View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 10:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Fun2Drive:

Thanks for the post. I'm not going to quote you here for space, but a couple of questions:

My driving style is 5 days a week generally 2X5.5 miles. Sometimes on Saturdays we'll take the E93 for errand hopping (50-75 mi). Once maybe every 8-12 weeks I get to air it out a little on an airport run or like this weekend it will get to stretch it's legs with a run to Austin and back. So, with this profile, how often would you put the car on a tender?

I can't imagine coming home from work every day and hooking it up, but I wouldn't be adverse to hooking it up on Friday if I knew I wasn't going to drive the car until Monday. Likewise, if I knew the car wasn't going to be driven for a week or 10 days that would be a no-brainer.

Recommendations?
We are reminded of BMW's dire warning:

"if your car is driven only for short distances of less than 10 miles over a prolonged period of time (what's that?) without an occasional drive at highway speeds, the engine's charging system will not maintain the battery. Insufficient use of the vehicle (what's that?) could result in short term starting problems and, in the long term (what's that?) could damage the battery."

We've seen previous posts in here of "short distance" low mileage drivers who had batteries die on them and were denied battery warranty service.

I fall into this category.

Watch for future "Dealer argument" threads.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA