View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 11:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Mercedes also jumped on the bandwagon. The "Big Three" German competitors are now all on the same power plant playing field. It's a real shame BMW did that to themselves. However, BMW does have the best turbo four banger, in spite of the diesel-esque sounding direct injection. What does it say about Audi that BMW beat them at their own game at their first at bat?
It is not that simple. You have to remember that the 2.0T was initially setup for a model below a naturally aspirated V6. So its power was to a great extent capped by the requirement to be slated a decent distance below the V6's.

Audi has had a 265Hp version of the same engine for a while now in the TTS.

It also has a 2.5L five-banger than produces 360Hp/343lb-ft (a mini-monster).

So it is not like Audi cannot put a more potent version in the A4.

You also have to realize that BMW had been turbo charging aircraft engines 50+ years ago and that it has made many turbo engines for cars since the seventies. Someone here pointed out to me that BMW was not new at this game, and after doing just a little bit of research, I realized how right he was and how wrong my own assumptions were about this.

Finally, cost, marketing, and different choices for balancing reliability with performance influence what engine these companies end up using. Either one could easily make engines that far surpass the ones currently fielded in their cars.