View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 09:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 3.0 Z-3 ROADSTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench13 View Post
Changed my pump and thermo right at 60,0012. Upper hose was almost gone, lower was fine. The old pump had been changed already I think - it has a metal impeller, but since I have no service records I dont know when or who did it. I went with a Stewart. I tried an all metal thermostat housing ( M52TU engine, so its the electric one). No good, weeping leak thru the electrical connection. Went and got a new BMW plastic one. I guess I can relax until 90-100K when the radiator will be done. For me, thats about a year, since I do 500 miles a week as a DD.
My cooling system has been replaced...all started with signs of white residue around top side of radiator. Then I discovered a leak around the neck of the radiator where the drain plug is located....cracked neck. I replaced the BMW (Valeo brand) radiator with another one. Afterall, it has lasted 11 years so I figured this one will last as long. Since the car had 63,900 miles, I replaced the water pump with Stewart pump, BMW plastic thermostat housing, both belts, upper/lower hoses, hose between radiator & expansion tank....total cost for parts including new coolant was $650. Of course, I did all the labor....saving hundreds of $$. CAUTION: Make sure to follow proper draining/replacing coolant procedures. You don't want any bubbles in the system.