View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 750li, Mercedes SL600
Quote:
Originally Posted by f01driver View Post
I had a chance to test out the B&O system when I test drove the 2013 7 series. The thing I found with the b&o system was the sound was much crisper and much more detailed than the stock system and I don't know how to explain it but the sound seem to fill the entire cabin much better than the stock system. But the thing that really blew me away was when the sales person played a DVD, the sound was incredible and it was like you were sitting in a very expensive home theater. Unfortunately the thing that turned me off was the option price; the b&o sound system is a $7,000 option which I feel is a bit ridiculous seeing how BMW decided to put such a crappy stock system and than basically tell buyers of a $120k car that if you want a system that actually belongs in a $100k+ luxury car you have to fork over $7,000.

That been said I'm sure a lot people would think spending thousands of dollars on the LED headlamp options or the tech. package makes no sense so I guess it all depends what you want. My advice is go down to a dealership and let your ears do the hearing.
I remember the B&O systems for the Mercedes S-Class costing $6400 with the base car being pricier, so the cost isn't that unusual in the premium segment.

That said, the Logic 7 in the MB does sound much better than the premium sound system in the 7, but I thought that the B&O didn't make a huge difference when driving. Standing still it did sound much more refined (but not $6+k better), but that's a personal choice, as you said.

Since our BMW is a winter/family car and my wife likes it quiet, there aren't too many times I could really take advantage of a higher-end system

Btw, am I the only one that think the Sirius XM radio sounds like it's 1954? Crappy, tinny, echoey and to my ears, almost impossible to listen to. Sounds like they severely compress the audio and broadcast at 32kps. The news stations are worse.

I now just use Stitcher or Webradio...