10-12-2012, 07:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Join Date: Sep 2007
Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Need some mpg improvement ideas
I posted this on Roadfly, but there isn't much traffic there, so here it is:
My car runs beautiful, however, the mpg is creeping up steady, and I ran out of ideas. The mpg is city driving related. i haven't been on a highway in a long time.
Up until about 4 years ago, the mpg was around 10.8 - 11.2 l/100Km (21.7 - 21 mpg). Then, it started to go up ever so slightly. Today I am at around 13.2 l/100km (17.8 mpg), and the trend is still going up. I will post a list with engine related stuff I did on my car, maybe this will help:
Other maintenance was also done, like oil changes, coolant flush, brake fluid flush, etc and various engine not related maintenance. But this mpg up-creep is just puzzling. My driving habits or route did not change, and I use the same Shell V-power gas since I purchased the car in '06 (with the odd different brand fuel once a year or so).
- ATF was changed together with filter in fall/winter 2007/08 (55k / 88600Km)
- Winterized CCV 2008 -feb
- New pre-cat O2 sensors (Bosch) - Oct 2008 (66k / 106000 Km)
- Beisan vanos seals Aug 2009 (74 k / 120000 Km)
- New fuel filter Sep 2009 (75k / 120000 Km)
- Cooling overhaul (incl belts, pullies, hoses, etc) & new DISA May 2011 (89k / 143000 Km)
- New injectors (OEM) Sep 2011 (91k / 147000 Km)
- Cleaned TB & ICV. New MAF (OEM), new sparkplugs (NGK), new VCG, replaced all vacuum hoses (Jul 2012) (99k / 159000 Km)
What did I overlook? I think I will change the post-cat O2 sensors as well regardless of "monitoring" status only. But I am not sure this will change the status-quo.
Looking for a DIY? Parts? Check this out, it might be your ticket
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39 M54, e53 N62 & Tribby
Last edited by doru; 10-12-2012 at 09:49 AM.