View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 07:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Well, the reviewer is wrong. The M3 has always been about being a thinly disguised race car. The M5, never. It's always meant to be the ultimate gentleman's express. A car to use everyday that can dominate the autobahn, be engaging to drive, and can be brought to the track for a little fun.

The E60 was more like a big M3. And that was too far from the design brief of the M5. The issues with the E60 M5 were that the tremendous thirst and sub 200 mile range meant the car could not be effectively used as a daily driver unless it was around town. And the SMG was just a disaster for being a daily driver. Again, compromises that might be acceptable in the M3 but not in the M5.

To me, the F10 M5 returns to the stated mission brief of the M5.

The M3 is another story. The original M3 WAS born of racing, remember it was a homologation special. And apart from the weak sauce E36 M3, which happens to be a great driver's car, but is more along the lines of a ZHP package than a true M Car IMO, the M3 was and continues to be taut and high strung. I am hoping (and believing, honestly) that the F80 will continue that clenched fist aggression. I have been impressed with the F30 chassis and expect the new M3/4 to be a winner.
i beg to differ. and this is OUR chief gripe about the f10 M5. it WAS supposed to be a thinky desguised race car. and it so isnt anymore. you're all right, i haven't driven it. and i am sure i will love it. but is the f10 m5 a bigger leap from the previous generation than any other m car?

could be....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmwm5.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	345328  

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual

Last edited by highyo; 10-12-2012 at 07:57 AM.