BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

335d

259K views 3K replies 186 participants last post by  ghhviking 
#1 ·
Guys, is there an area just for us compression heads?

#2,636 ·
The V10 really was overkill, especially in the Touareg. Sadly, that marketing gaff kind of soured many against a TDI Egg, even once the V6 TDI came out. I think the V10 TDI Egg was even more of a crazy trial balloon than the Jeep CRD Liberty I had.

regards,
D

#2,637 ·
But overkill is what made it appealing to me. I tried to get into one new but it just was not happening. Too little made and guess too large demand locally for the ones that made it here. Wasn't even considering out of state purchase since really wanted to drive one to be sure.

#2,641 ·
I have 18k on my 2011 X5 35d, no issues, runs great. About 1k on my fiancee's 2011 335d, starts right up, even skiing in VT last week when it was 12 degrees below zero outside.
Amazing cars, tons of torque, sips diesel. Can't imagine ever going back to gasoline.

#2,646 ·
I thought BMW no longer was flushing the DEF an just topping it off? I lasted to my first anual change without any warning light. My second anual change I got the light. Car is sitting at or just shy of 13k miles right now. I will probably drive it more this year, once I get my slashed tire replaced, so will see how oil and DEF consumption is.

#2,652 ·
I have driven BMW's since 1985 and have had 3's, 5's, and most recently a 7. However my current 335d is by far the most fun BMW I have ever had. I love this car and it surprises everyone. The US consumers knowledge of diesel is minimal, and given the chance to drive this car, most would take it. A beautiful and satisfying car.

#2,653 ·
Badger, I started this thread over 3 years ago! It was the first to speak to the Diesels. I thought this thread was dead and buried by now. Glad you found it, but we have many more subject specific threads where you can post.

Welcome to the group anyway!:thumbup:

#2,656 ·
Ya 3 years have gone by and us 335d owners have become the rare breed as the 335d is now discontinued here in NA.
Maybe one day it'll become a classic!

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Bimmer App
Maybe not a "classic" in the collectible sense, but certainly a very desirable used car in the near future.

- Mike

#2,659 ·
The engine was just a "proof of concept" for the U.S. market - a plot to educate American buyers that diesel was a good (and powerful) alternative. Now that we are "sold" the engines that follow will be much less "performance" and more "economy" - kinda sucks.

- Mike

#2,662 ·
And this thread lives on, and on.....:rolleyes:

#2,670 ·
Does the diesel in California have to burn cleaner than other states? Like how the gasoline does. If not then I'd imagine that is why diesel did not surge as bad as gasoline.

Seems limiting where the gasoline can be supplied from is always going to be a sure fire way for spikes to happen. BTW I recall 1-2 years ago Chevron was debating pulling out of the refinery in Richmond due to all the hassles/restrictions/problems from local/state government agencies. If they ever did decide to do that then I bet fuel costs in the state will skyrocket even more so. As I understand it that one single refinery supplies around 15% of the states gasoline needs.

Of course the counter argument could simply be just make the rest of the country need the same cleaner burning fuels so that more refineries produce it and the costs of fuel is more equalized across the states.

#2,683 ·
unfortunate first post

Hey all!

Just picked up my very first BMW as well as my very first diesel today. 2011 335d w/ sport package and 44k on the odometer.

Unfortunately while driving HOME FROM THE DEALERSHIP I get an ses with the warning 'engine malfunction, reduced power'. After dinner I start the car back up and its gone. I take it for a drive and then get the particulate filter warning. THEN the engine malfunction warning comes back on and hasn't gone away.

I have searched the forum pretty thoroughly and have found posts with one problem or the other but not both at the same time. Thankfully its still under warranty but dang, what a bummer!

Any ideas as to what the dealership might say?

#2,685 ·
Hey all!

Just picked up my very first BMW as well as my very first diesel today. 2011 335d w/ sport package and 44k on the odometer.

Unfortunately while driving HOME FROM THE DEALERSHIP I get an ses with the warning 'engine malfunction, reduced power'. After dinner I start the car back up and its gone. I take it for a drive and then get the particulate filter warning. THEN the engine malfunction warning comes back on and hasn't gone away.

I have searched the forum pretty thoroughly and have found posts with one problem or the other but not both at the same time. Thankfully its still under warranty but dang, what a bummer!

Any ideas as to what the dealership might say?
Viking,

Definitely not a good start but perhaps you can still salvage something from this deal:

1. Did you buy it from a BMW Dealer, CPO? If so they did not do a very professional job of "checking out" the vehicle. Definitely return it ASAP and lodge a firm complaint with them and demand they do a full inspection as well as verification that the car does not have Carbon Build Up. If they aren't willing to do this, force them to take the car back, period.

2. If you bought it from a non-BMW dealer, they probably won't know what is technically wrong so ask for your money back or require they send the vehicle to a BMW dealer to have it checked out and inspect for CBU. Again, if you cant get them to do that get your money back.

3. In either case you need to get an extended warranty if you plan to keep the car. You don't want to get stuck with someone elses problem a year from now.

4. If all they do is clear the code and say it's all good, BS! Don't accept that.

Good luck and I hope something positive comes out of this. Buying a second hand 335D can be a gamble unless you know the CBU has been addressed. More than likely that is why the original owner decided to dump the car.

#2,686 ·
I had a friend get it for me at auction. The carfax was super clean and I even called the previous BMW dealership who serviced the vehicle to ask them about it.

Definitely getting it into the BMW dealership tomorrow. Is it possible that since it sat parked in a lot somewhere for a couple months that the fuel went bad? Also, I've read about people clearing the particulate filter themselves by driving kind of aggressively for a while. Think that's worth a shot?

Lastly, are these two warnings related?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#2,689 ·
Update: took it to autozone to see what codes pulled up...I got five of them.

P02CB
P02D7
P14A7
P02D3
P02CE

Turbos, injectors, emissions, and dpf

Yay!!!!

Step 1: Set up a service appointment with the BMW dealer for warranty work.
Step 2: Educate yourself on CBU and its causes and solutions
Step 3: Use the money you saved buying it at auction to purchase an extended warranty.
Step 4: Enjoy the brute-force torque of your new ride. :)

Cheers,
Dave

#2,688 ·
It's awfully suspicious that the codes all happened right after auction. Was your friend allowed to fire it up before making a bid? Are you sure the SES light wasn't on all the time? I agree with previous posts - this car was likely dumped. I was told explicitly by a very close BMW service advisor that BMW is not allowed to report vehicle histories to interested buyers - sellers can get the records and reveal them but BMW cannot do that on behalf of a buyer without seller's permission. I know because I too bought a 335d from a dealer who picked it up at auction and I asked him to check it out for me before buying it only to be told "ahhh, we can't really do that". So either my SA was a newbie, BMW has changed it's policies in the past year, or you were told 'it's nothing to worry about' when in fact there was no data upon which to base that claim.

Low mileage BMW's land at auction for three principle reasons: (1) the car was in an accident; (2) the car was leased and the lessor doesn't want to try to sell it; (3) it was traded to a non-BMW dealer. When I wanted to get rid of my mis-behaving 335d I took it to the dealer, had all codes fixed/resolved, and asked them to make me an offer, which they did (interesting sidebard - I got $4k more from the dealer than I was offered by CarMax). But they kept it. Conversely I was told when discussing the possibility of trading it to Subaru that it would definitely be auctioned and that I would be wise to try BMW, since many dealers BUY them at auction, CPO them, and then sell them marked up accordingly.

But this is all academic. You bought it at auction and so you have little recourse to get your bucks back. You have zero choice but to take it to the dealer and let them sort it out. Be glad you've still got it all under warranty because none of those codes sound cheap to resolve. One thing you might do to ease your mind though. I was told that a long-term or serious fault will be remembered by the car even if the SES light gets reset and the code clears. You might ask your SA if he/she can tell how long the codes have been on. I also think now that you own the car you are entitled to a complete lifetime maintenance report from BMW, so you should ask for that as well. If they balk, tell them that you at least want the records for the faults in question - have they been repaired previously, etc. It won't fix your current problems but it'll help you provide information here and elsewhere of the sort that may find you others who have dealt with the same problems. There are some really smart folks here and the more bread crumbs you can feed them, the more likely they are to be able to offer good advice.

#2,690 ·
Would not the 4 year/50k warranty still be in effect? Does change in ownership void that? I'm assuming it was always serviced by BMW in the first place so perhaps there is still some responsibility with them?

Too many unknowns. Rolling the dice at auction.

The only remedy is dump it or pay the piper (i.e. BMW repair shop). There could be multiple issues least of which is CBU. Who knows.

Assuming he got a steal, and the cars appearance is very good, I'd go for a full repair to get it back in order and get an extended warranty. Then enjoy the ride.:thumbup: After all, it is still low miles.

Caveat Emptor!:yikes:

#2,693 ·
I am virtually certain that BMW honors the 4yr/50k for as many owners as own it. I bought my second 335d with 17k miles on it from an independent who got it at auction and I had plenty of work done under warranty at my local dealership. Moreover I did ask my SA if the warranty would be voided upon re-sale and he said absoutely not. Viking dude will get a fix unless the car has been modified.

Viking dude if you are still with us you had better make sure there is no JBD chip under the hood. If the dumper had one and left it on and the dealer sees it they might not be so cool about taking care of everything under warranty or, if they do, it will make for a mighty uncomfortable conversation. "What's a JBD chip" you ask? Search the forum - there are photos hereabouts of what you ought to look for. Basically a tuning chip that does not wipe the ECU but changes various fuel and air parameters to get even more power.

#2,691 ·
Before I purchased mine, I took the car, during my test drive, to the closest BMW dealership. They charged me $180 or so for a pre-buy inspection. As a part of this inspection, they provided me with the complete service history of the vehicle.

As for what course you should follow, it is still under factory warranty; so, take it to the dealer and enjoy putting miles on someone else's new car for the month or two it will take to fix yours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.