View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
Gosh. Wish I'd had you there to tell me what to buy. After 9 BMW's (4 of which were X5's) I'm obviously clueless.

The tires in question are the Dueler HP Sport RFT, one of the two different OE tires BMW fits (the other being the Dunlops). If my X5 wasn't leased, I likely would have gone with another tire, probably the Conti DWS. But since I need to return it at lease end with RFT's, my choices were limited to:
1. Re-up with the Dunlops, which are truly dreadful tires;
2. Switch to the Bridgestones, which couldn't possibly be worse than the Dunlops;
3. Buy non-RFT's and let BMWFS charge me $1,600 at lease end for tires;
4. Buy non-RFT's and hope I could find a set of takeoffs from another Fester when my lease is done.

Opion 1 wasn't an option. Option 3 would have cost me at least $2,500, vs. $1,400 for the so far eminently acceptable Bridgestones. Option 4 was a crap shoot. So I got the Bridgestones thinking they might suck, but so far I like them a lot. As they say, YMMV. But I find Callaway's comments reassuring.
You could also consider Option 5: Drive OEM tires to close to the minimum specs required by BMW upon lease-end, then replace them with anything your heart desires. On return, put the original tires back. The trick here is to consider this option way before the tires need replacement and I wish I was that smart (although I do not lease).