Thread: Engine Swaps
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 01:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 528i Sport Prem 5Spd
In short, I wouldn't. The M52 is a great motor, one of the best ever made and I personally wouldn't trade it for anything. An engine swap would cost way more than the car is worth. Not to mention complications with traction control/mounting, It'll never be just right and it will dramatically lower the resale value of the car. Best bet if you really want more power is to go for the 540. It will probably be a pretty close trade for your 528, or not much more money. If you look on cars.com you'll see that 5 series I6's retail for about the same money as 540's. Get a manual transmission. If you look on craigslist you can find them for under $5000. Even a 528 that is beat to death can be sold for about $3000 if it runs, 528's in excellent condition can be sold for as much as $7,000. I'd look at private party/craigslist sales before dealers, you can get a much better deal buying directly from the owner. I know that here in NY there's a 99 540 for sale in excellent condition (120k miles) for $3,300 private party. Just look around and don't get so hung up on M packages and stuff like that, although they're nice, if you're buying an older car you'll need to change out the suspension in the next couple of years anyway.