View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 4Dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
Methinks that far too many people are obsessing over oil, and what to use. The single most important issue is changing it in a timely manner. Most people in the US of A operate their cars in what can be termed "severe service;" i.e., short trips at rather low surface street speeds. This requires more frequent oil changes than the idiot Service Interval Indicator tells you.

I've always been a 3k oil and filter change kind of guy, using dino oil. I would rate my pattern of usage as severe service. My engine is squeaky clean, with no tan varnish deposits anywhere - the aluminum sparkles.

This whole oil discussion smacks of "chrome-plating a dog turd."
Ed, there is nothing wrong with changing Motor Oil sooner then the factory recommended service interval other then the cost, since used motor oil is now recycled, it's also no longer a environmental issue with disposal, but your motor will last considerably longer using a full synthetic motor oil then by using a standard petroleum based motor oil. When I sold motor oil at Supershops in Santa Clara and the Speed Merchant on Lincoln in San Jose in the 1980's, a case of Valvoline Motor Oil (12 quarts) on sale was 9.99. Mobile One synthetic's cost back then was nearly 8 times more per quart, not so today.
Here's a million mile BMW:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/..._in_a_BMW.aspx