View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 10:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskane View Post
Thanks BimmerFan52.

I took the pan off and had the sleeve ready, but I can't find where does the sleeve goes? With pan off, I can see under the transmission there is absolutely no place where the sleeve is visible. Is it hiding under "sleeve locking mechanism" or do I need to pull the valve body to reach the sleeve? What are the symptoms of leaking sleeve anyway?

Also, my pan was changed about 12,000K's during the transmission oil change. I do have a new pan, but the old one seems to be okay. Do you think I should change the pan, or just the two oil drains as recommended earlier in this post? I have the pan off at the moment as I am trying to figure out the sleeve and have to get 12 new bolts (which I am going to do a washer + M6 high tensile bolt combination).

Would appreciate if anyone can share there thoughts on the sleeve and pan.
The sealing sleeve is just above the filler hole on the end of the transmission body. You do not need to remove the mechatronic unit. If the pan was done 12K ago I would put it back on and save the new pan for 60-70K from now.

Don't worry about high-tensile bolts as the bolt is only torqued to 8nM (about 6ft-lbs). Make sure you have the right thread length and exact thread size (including pitch).

Symptoms of leaking sleeve are leaking transmission fluid from the sleeve. You may not be experiencing this now, but if it has never been changed the rubber gaskets will give out and it will leak eventually.

Sealing sleeve is shown in drawing on pg 51 of pdf (along with other good info).