Thread: Sucky Wipers
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 05:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan View Post
In the dry west it's hard to write anything conclusive about wippers. Just after I took possession of the car in May we had a rain storm. While driving I noticed on the driver side a shmearing on the down side of the cycle. The dealer replaced with a new wiper assembly (rubber and rubber support not the arm). That stopped the shmearing. We haven't had a strong enough rain to criticize the speed. The wipper do seem slower than the prior 650. However the older models had a cam that shifted and accelerated the wiper as it moved across the windshield. That could be a difference which would affect a perception of speed.
I'm sure the mechanisms are different on the E series and F series cars but I don't think it's perception. My wife currently drives an E71/X6 (which I always drive when we're together) and the wiper speed (highest setting) on those blow my 650's away. I think they just screwed the pooch on this one.

If it wasn't a lease and I was going to keep it for a few more years, I would look into retrofitting the wiper motors from the E series. I'm not gonna lie, I get a little uncomfortable in anything heavier than normal rainfall. It's that sucky. Never before, in my life...