View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 05:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 95 525iT w/S52, 03 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLE39 View Post
Somin's not right. I got my car with two factory dead keys. Got a new key from the dealer, been working great since. 50'+ range. I drive it 40 min/day and do a lot of 10-15hr trips. Usually about 2 or 3 per month. Key is perfect. I'd say you probably need a new key. That's the most common failure, the battery inside dies off. Dealer even told me if you get more than 5yrs from a key you are lucky.
+1 The batteries are the primary thing that fails over time. There are a couple of locksmiths in the UK that repair these keys for a very reasonable fee. They advertise on Ebay. There is one other important aspect that no one above has mentioned. The diamond shaped keys for 2000 and later cars do not have separate 'pill' type rfid transponders. The EWS transponder on these keys is part of the circuit board assembly. The batteries on these diamond shaped keys are also not really batteries. They are capacitors that can hold a charge for a long time but they do eventually fail to hold a charge. I intend to send one of my old keys that has failed to one of the guys on Ebay in the UK for repair. I can say that the failed key will not operate the locks wirelessly but it does open the doors and will start the car so the battery (capacitor) is not powering the rfid transponder.