View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 08:20 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530i
E60 - Aux retrofit DIY - Saved 250 bucks

Hey Guys , First of all - Thanks to this forum & the users who have posted their valuable experience here.

As I posted earlier My CCC had died and I save a lot money by doing a DIY replacement. Now in order for my CCC to work the dealer had to Code it and when he did update the software I automatically got an option for AUX in my idrive menu. I asked the dealer to install the AUX part as well , Dealer quoted me $250 for the job including part and since they did not have the part in stock they rescheduled my appointment for the retrofit. I was a little skeptical on paying them $250 for the AUX, so I searched this forum and found a very useful PDF file (attached).

From there it was a piece of cake. I ordered the part from amazon. Received it next day. I already knew how to disassemble the front dash from my experience in replacing CCC.
Removed CCC , took out the big connector on the back of the CCC , removed the black interlock and added my Aux cable with the PIN numbers as specified in the PDF. Tested It & it worked like a charm.

Now i took the glove box apart - 4 screws from the bottom of the glove box and 2 plastic (screw holder kind of thing ) from inside the glove box. routed the cable from CCC to the OEM location of AUX drilled holes and was done. there is a plastic cover on the underside where the AUX is installed, I took that out to easily route the AUX part.

Sound Quality : I have heard a lot of people saying that the SQ is not as good with an aux cable and people have recommended removing the capacitors from the wire. I did not do that. Honestly the SQ is really good. I played same songs both on CD and AUX and did not notice any difference in SQ or volume.

Some people have complained about the buzzzing noise from AUX , I noticed that only when my phone or Ipod was connected to a charger. If i remove charger and just play the songs , the buzzing is not there at all.

Money I spent - $80 on the part
about 40 minutes on labor.

Good luck to anyone who is planning to do this. If you have any questions let me know I will try to help you out as much as i can .

Thanks

PS: 4 corner Pins are numbered on the black connector. My Connector had 3 existing wires in it probably from the changer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	701
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	345779  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Retrofit kit, auxiliary connection. Only for E60-E61-E63-E64.pdf (603.3 KB, 2032 views)
Advertisement