View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
New M3 coupe vs used Porsche 997 Twin Turbo

I owned various 911's before. Bought the Turbo since it was not my only drive. There is really no comparison once you get used to driving the 911. Within reason, nothing comes close.
Yeah a 997 TT is a very engaging ride, but not one I would necessarily choose, especially if I was going to put some miles on the car. I remember the advice of seasoned old hands at the PCA who would repeat the mantra buy the newest lowest mileage Porsche you can afford since the cost of maintenance over the long term can be a very significant number. Moreover, if you put a lot of miles on a 911 you can expect not only stiff maintenance bills, but also a significant hit in terms of depreciation. Following this line of thinking a CPO 997.2 Carrera or Carrera S might be more attractive than an older higher mileage Turbo. Bottom line there is no free lunch if you are going to play in the turbo world expect to pay either up front for a newer car or over the long term for maintenance on an older car. My experience - turbos are expensive.

Moreover, being tall 6'3" 210 lbs., I have always been hard pressed to find a comfortable driving position in a 911 that I can tolerate over a long drive. My left leg and size 13 shoe have never been able to find a comfortable home in a 911 until the 991. Furthermore, I find both the general noise level and ride can be exhausting in older 911s. Perhaps most critically, although my family is willing to indulge my purchase of a 911, my current German shepherd dog is not so amenable.

In terms of my needs and desires, I consider myself very fortunate that I find my M3 to be perfect - within reason, nothing comes close. But in the end these are personal decisions, based as much, if not more, on emotion and passion - as such all the reasonable reasons for or against are just personal rationalizations - if turbo is in your blood - you are going to drive a turbo. I salute your passionate choice.

Last edited by Capobranco; 10-15-2012 at 02:04 PM.