View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrick View Post
I dropped the 1994 525it at the shop this morning. I had my wife follow me and watch the exhaust for white vapor.
The cat started and ran fine without overheating. Only 3 miles.
My wife did say that she saw more white vapor form the BMW than from other cars.
I left the car with a written history of what happened and what I had done and experienced the past few days.
I got a call a few hours later. There was no circulation of coolant. So the water pump was not working.
I am going to change the water pump, fan clutch (it is a little weak), thermostat, hoses and belts.
My great concern is doing all this work with a bad head gasket.
The shop said that there was NO exhaust contamination in the coolant and pretty much assured me that the head gasket was fine.
They said that the M50 will show this amount of vapor.
Does any one have any comments?
I think you can feel comfortable proceeding since the mechanic indicates that a blown HG is unlikely. A compression test should also confirm this, but he would probably charge you a lot for that. I am not one to typically recommend buying a lot of parts prior to failure, however, the cooling system is so critical to this engine's life. I do recommend a full coolant system overhaul when you are having problems like this. I did mine for ~$600 in parts via the internet. I did it in an afternoon taking my time. It's really not that hard.

I'm glad the news was good relative to the HG.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold