View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 11:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 750li, Mercedes SL600
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischeung View Post
You also need to think a little globally. Which is Audi's major market for the A6 ang A8? I think if you consider that likely the Chinese market is the largest, then you'll understand Audi's approach to styling, and to some extent, BMW's. Chinese, by and large, are not into cutting edge, swooping and sporty forms.

Audi is going to sell over 400K cars in China this year. The USA in 2011 was less than 120K.

Who know's in a few years, if you want cutting edge design, you may need to buy a Cadillac. Since the Germans may be designing to the Chinese instead of the Americans and Europeans.
I can't really agree with your assessment.

Germans do not design their cars for any specific market (I am speaking about the overall design language, not specific options or engine variants) and DEFINITELY NOT for the Chinese.

German car makers, like Audi, BMW and Mercedes are quite consistent in the evolution of their designs.

I maybe subjective on the issue of what you call "cutting edge", but think that Cadillac is definitely not it.
I admire them for having rediscovered and rebuilt their brand (and move away from the 1990 GM junk) and being able to offer a product that can compete internationally.

In my view, they have finally caught up technically and putting out a fine product for the money, but I don't think anything is cutting edge (other than the sharp edges of their lights, that is . Love or hate design in my view).

While I don't care much for the Audi designs, I find the cars very modern and quite a bit more interesting than VW's, which share much of their internals. They just don't age very gracefully. The S5 looks very cool though

My "subjective" 2 cents

Last edited by Wolfman64; 10-16-2012 at 11:33 AM.