View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
Things change over time. What was applicable yesterday may no longer be applicable today. For example we no longer replace spark plug wires, distributor caps, adjust carburetor jetting / floats, etc. All things we used to do and pretty much not applicable to today's vehicles.

To date I have seen no evidence to suggest following BMW's recommend 15K oil change interval has resulted in increased engine wear.
Sunny's statement is not based upon his singular experience, it's based upon watching posted Blackstone Lab results, and looking at pictures of other people's valve cover replacements. We diesel owners have been very interested in this (our recommended interval is different, oil is different), and it appears that the recommended interval is ok and set to expire when the lubrication properties (TBN and other factors) start to reach unacceptable levels. There have been no oil-related failures that I can remember being posted on the diesel forum - that's over 100 people; certainly not singular either.

Although I respect Miller's expertise, current engines and car systems are so different that I believe his recommendations are too conservative, even for people keeping cars 200K or more.