View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 12:25 AM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Hi Peter,

Yes, I put anti-seize on the bolts, but I used zinc dust petrolatum anti-seize, coating the entire bolt body. It's made specifically for aluminum applications. The water pump body is aluminum, and one of the worst materials you can put between steel and aluminum is copper. It actually induces electrolysis. I work with antique air horns (www.airhornhospital.com) that were assembled 50-60 years ago with little regard to later disassembly and know well what happens when a steel bolt is put in an aluminum casting with no corrosion protection.

That's the first time I've heard of possible damage to a viscous fan clutch by laying it flat. Could you please explain why that's bad? What's it do to them?

I've been removing and replacing viscous fans from all sorts of auto engines, not just BMWs, for the last 30-ish years and never had even one fail after being laid flat and then put back on the engine. The latest one that I can tell you exact mileage on is my daughter's E36 318is. The radiator, thermostat, water pump and hoses were replaced at 193000 miles. The fan clutch wasn't replaced, since it tested good (relatively free-wheeling at ambient temp, but firm resistance at elevated temp in the airflow through the radiator). It now has 240000 miles and the fan clutch is still fine, doing it's job as it was designed to do. I can't see, from personal experience, how that would hurt the mechanism. In fact, how do you suppose they ship the clutches? They don't ship them standing up.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?