View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 05:42 PM
Strategic Parker

Mein Auto: '05 MCS : '05 ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper_330 View Post
For the sake of practicality if you are going to expect more than just an inch or two of snow, do yourself a favour and go with the 17" and the 205 width. On snow, the less width you have the easier the tire can "cut" the snow. Also, smaller wheel and thicker sidewall mean that WHEN you slide on the ice and hit something sideways you're putting less stress on the suspension components.

Oh... and I'd advise to just forget about what looks great on the car; these are snow tires. They're intended for a couple of months when your car's going to be covered in road crap anyway and isn't exactly going to look stellar. And again, WHEN you slide into a curb because of the ice, you're going to be damaging a cheap and ugly set of rims that you really don't care so much about.

OK... that's just my personal advice. Last year I bought a set of 17/205's and mounted them on a set of Moda MD9's. Cheap and cheerful and got me through everything mother nature threw at me last year. They're patiently waiting in the basement for the weather to get really cold again, and they'll be right back on my car for another couple of months. They really don't look good, but I did ding a couple of curbs when I slid last year; on these wheels I really don't care
Agree 100%