View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 07:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Sorry to dredge this up from page four, at least it's not four years old.....

So in light of the computer keeping track of starts and stops and how long and hard and fast you drive, if you have to access car electronics, i.e. for me retracting my top, is it better to start the engine and do it via the center console buttons or do it via the metal key in the drivers door (manual) system? I am not going to alter my routine of cleaning and lubricating my top seals on a somewhat weekly basis, but I can't imagine that doing this simple thing is causing a huge drain on my battery. It's counter-intuitive, but it seems like starting the car and using the power generated from the engine upsets the computer more than using a draw off the battery. All in all both scenarios seem to be "negative" imputs to the computer. Which is the more detrimental?
Sounds like a distinction without a difference. Both actions will drain the battery. If you go with your concept of connecting a trickle-charger over the weekend and during periods of non-use, you shouldn't have to worry about which activity is going to be more or less detrimental.