View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: Vehicle
Quote:
Originally Posted by davethewheel View Post
Nicely said...I have an 06 530i and that is the same info. I've read ..unfortunately for me there is not much as in mods for the n52 as compared to the n54 for more power, correct?
I only know of various products such as Dinan's high-flow intake components and throttle body which, altogether, can increase engine output by as much as 20-22 HP, at the crank. This is mostly observed in the upper 3rd of the rev-range, however, and is likely to translate into a 1 tenth of a second quarter mile time reduction and a trap increase of 1-2 MPH. There is not much to be gained by way of exhaust systems in these vehicles, as the stock solution is very well optimized (and may not be worth the added decibels or drone). You can combine the above with a software refresh, for a more linear throttle-position-to-thrust ratio and removal of the governor. All this for a low, low price of $2,500 (without labor).

There are other (much less expensive) producers of intake systems and such. However, few are proven to produce such HP gains, and none buffet intake sounds to near stock-like levels (all while not displacing manufacturer warranties). Take it or leave it, there's a reason why Dinan is still in business (and doing quite well), in spite of what seems like stratospheric prices, to some.

If you're wanting/willing to step up to forced induction, Arma a sponsor of this site has developed a centrifugal supercharger application for the N52 and now, specifically, for the E60. However, as a brand-new product on the market (and the first of its kind for the N52) little is known about drivability and reliability of this system, other than what the manufacturer claims.

http://www.armaspeed.com/eng/goods.php?act=cat&no=107

Quote:
Originally Posted by boramkiv View Post
Yep, you'll run basically neck and neck with a 2009+ Nissan Maxima with the 3.5 (I wonder how I know that )
Yes and even more mature Maximas. My daily driver is a 2002 Maxima SE (3.5, Auto). And, on a hot/muggy day at the track, in South Florida (the kind of day on which a 335i was unable to dip under 14.0), I can quietly slip through the quarter mile in 14.9 seconds @ 93 MPH.