View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 10:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 330ci 3pdl 89 325i
These noises are driving me crazy!

Not as bad as the title sounds! But to the point my car has always produced a slight ticking diesel noise. I learned to live with it accepting that it will always be there. I assume that it is the lifters. However over summer it got a little worse and then about 2 weeks ago i changed from Castrol 0-30 to Castrol 5-30 and it go worse right away. I assume it is lifters because it comes primarily from the mid engine area(most noticeable along the fuel injector rail.) also it is consistent with RPM. Now here is what puzzles me 5w30 and 0w30 are pretty close, when i changed from M10w40 to Castrol 0w30 No change what gives? Also the ticking is consistent with engine temps, maybe even gets louder after it warms up. it is also very noticeable down next to the passenger wheel, however it has gotten so loud you can easily here it from behind the car now. It is not a savage ticking, just consistent and annoying. Even if I change back back to M1 the ticking still got louder while the M1 was in the motor after 3K. Then I switched to these two oils to see if I could cure it. HEELLLPP!! I really can't think what it could be other than lifters and I am not sure what else I can do to quiet them.