View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 04:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by izeman View Post
@shawnsheridan: thanks for clarification. to repeat: if i alter the FA, and start coding, then want to restart from the beginning and re-read the FA, this FA is altered, and not what i want. correct?
what i did was make a backup of the FA when i first connected my car. so if i load that .xml in the fa/vo window and then code all ECUs i should be fine. correct?
Not exactly. The FA in the car will not be altered by normal FDL Coding, and for most people it will remain factory original. However, it can be altered, and some people do alter to add options (4U2, 6NR, etc.), and that can be written to the car. So, if that is done, you would no longer have a factory FA in the car, so reading FA and VO Coding an ECU will not produce factory results in the modified FA affected that particular ECU.

So, as you did, you make a back up of your original FA that you can always use to VO Code your ECU's. You simply need to load it and VO Code the modules. You can leave the altered VO written to the car as is.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips