View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 05:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13 X5 50i M-Performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar Don View Post
Very interesting description of the "float". Personally I was hoping z51vette could better describe what be meant by floaty feeling. Your description does make some sense to me but I still don't feel that (I'm on 19 inch rft michelins).

Do either of your AD cars have self level suspension?
I actually, did not come up with this word. It was another member here that mentioned it, I forget which thread about AD. His description exactly fit what I experienced driving the cars with AD.

I can describe it like this. When you are on slightly uneven pavement, it feels like the car is somewhat disconnected from the road, like you are operating it through an interface with a damper between you and the road. You still feel all the bumps, but it seems like a sensation you would get in a boat. I should know, because I fish a lot and I'm very sensitive to seas. There is an ever so slight but very pronounced side to side and front to back motion when the system is working at reducing impact harshness. Mind you the bigger impacts still come through because the system firms up on them so you don't rock or bottom out but the slight undulations and someone mentioned, concrete pavement, it just sends it to this "floaty" state. Sort of like your shocks are shot, for a short moment. It's a sensation that I find unbearable. I think the AD system in the X5 is showing it's age. I drove an X3 with EDC, and it was completely lacking this feeling while still working very well to soften the ride in Comfort mode.