View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 08:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16valex View Post
Replacing strut is not for the light hearted noobies. Try to clear the wheel well is a PITA, I hate this part of the whole R/R.
He has the sport suspension setup, which will clear the wheel well much easier (the strut is smaller in length) - I know what you're talikng about. Been there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EconoBox View Post
Say no more. It took me 5 hours to replace a fuel filter. That was a nightmare. This is a job for a pro, not me.
That is an easy job - the fuel filter that is. You probably tried to pull on those old rubber hoses instaed of just cutting them with an exacto and replacing them.

If you do the suspension work, don't skimp on the hardware for the struts/shocks. The upper bearing mounts will fail, especially if the strut/shock is blown - there's more strain on them. Also, do yourself a favour and check the strut tower inside the engine bay. If you see any signs of mushrooming - your struts are almost 100% blown, because they bottomed out and started to deform the strut tower. There are reinforcement kits for that, and I kick myself for not installing those when I replaced my suspension (I didn't know about these at that time).
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby