View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 01:39 PM
E39 540i Sport

Mein Auto: 2003 540i w/Sport Package
So after it sitting for four hours in the parking garage I have returned to the car during my lunch break. Tried to turn it on, nothing. Took about 4 times and it finally started but got the engine fail safe message and ASC light immediately. Also had a rough idle but only for the first few seconds. I drove it around the parking garage at slow speeds, I noticed it shaking a little when stopped. I hit the right button on the display and it no longer said Engine Failsafe prog. I parked it again and shut it off. Tested ignition, turned on without issue or message.

At no time does the temp gauge move to the right, goes to the middle and stays

I will get it 'coded' at Autozone on my way home (if the car starts) but it sounds like maybe a battery issue because I'm guessing that driving around a little charged the battery from the alternator and that's why it turned on the second time so fast.

I could be wrong though since I've had no other battery related symptoms and it started this morning with no issue.

I appreciate any help, I know with out codes were guessing but a lot of those with same or similar issue found no codes.

I'm also posting this as a person reference as to what has and hasn't happened.

Last edited by Ktaylor757; 10-24-2012 at 03:00 PM. Reason: added info