View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 08:04 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by radd View Post
I would like to know how too.. otherwise we all have just stick to "Just buy OEM part, dont fix it or buy aftermarket ones"
I don't see anything wrong with the regulator so I'd rather figure out how to release tension.

Plus, I've googled and I don't (yet) see any other threads showing a stop-by-step way to release the tension ... so ... if we, together, come up with a good idea, the resultant DIY will benefit those who follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
If you compress the spring, does that introduce slack into the cable system?
Let's make mechanical spring compression "Plan A".

I'll check and report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
the wheel has a broken section of the flange
The wheel is chipped, but, I don't think that's why the cable slipped off the pulleys because the tension is astronomical, which should keep the cable on the pulley (I think). Of course, if the wheel truly 'is' the problem, the regulator is toast, and the solution morphs to a simpler solution because I can experiment with releasing tension without being worried about further damage to the regulator.

So, even with a chipped wheel, the problem still remains ... which is to figure out how to cleverly release tension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flug540 View Post
What I ended up doing is removing one of the cable ends from the slot it sits in next to the motor (where the cable spring is), which created enough slack
I've seen Matwiz' DIY showing the coiled insides of the motor so, I understand what you're saying (where is the wiz when you need him!).

I assume disassembling the motor is "Plan B".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flug540 View Post
it's a bit tricky getting it back on the internal pulley.
Looking closer at the motor, I see this 'purposeful' plug.

I wonder ... Do you think 'this' can be used as 'Plan C" to loosen tension somehow?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw_e39_window_regulator_motor_square_plug.jpg
Views:	1303
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	347322  
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need

Last edited by bluebee; 10-25-2012 at 09:01 AM.