View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 08:25 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
closeup picture of the black piece ribs, to clearly show the ribs
Hi Dan,

Here are closeups of the ribbed post. (I'd be glad to snap any photo at any angle you need. Just ask. You're helping me. And the next person. And the next after that.)

It seems to me, as it appears to you, that this mechanism is the missing link.

What puzzles me is why have an 'adjustable' post - when - I've never seen any mention of anyone actually adjusting it?

The post really only 'locks' into place into the motor tube. While it 'can' be pushed down a few notches or pulled up a few notches, it's meant to stay in place once configured.

Since it can be locked in any position ... an understanding of what's different when it's all the way in versus all the way out is key to understanding these window regulators.

My gut feeling is that the post "is" the tensioning mechanism, somehow ... but I'm not exactly sure how. Either that, or it's just for assembly purposes.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	post1.jpg
Views:	1220
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	347565   Click image for larger version

Name:	post2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	347566   Click image for larger version

Name:	post3.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	347567  
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need

Last edited by bluebee; 10-26-2012 at 08:29 PM.