View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 05:57 PM

Mein Auto: '08 E92
Unhappy Baby Car Seat Hardly Fits New X3

So we’re 4 weeks into our new 2013 X3 xdrive35i – got our first little one on the way and bought this to be the family car (our other car is a 335xi coupe, so that won’t fit the bill). Perhaps this was a rookie mistake, but I assumed that any normal baby car seat would fit in the back of the X3 without any issues.

Today, we took our X3 to the BMW dealer where we purchased the vehicle to have the baby car seat installed (it’s one of the services they offer) and were disappointed to learn that to fit our Graco Snugride behind the front passenger seat, the front passenger seat has to slide way forward to the point where an adult passenger would hardly fit (with knees right against the dashboard). Obviously, same issue if we try to install it behind the driver’s seat. We didn’t even attempt to install it in the middle of the X3 (where we initially wanted it for extra safety) because our service advisor indicated that then both the passenger and driver seats would need to be pushed way forward for the baby seat to fit.

So – for now we’re ok because we only have 1 baby on the way. We’ll just slide the front passenger seat way forward, place the baby car seat behind it, and my wife can ride behind my seat when I drive next to the baby (turning our 5-seater into a 2-seater + baby seat). However, if we have a second baby soon (God willing), this strategy won’t work anymore because both baby seats will take up the back seat and the adults will be sqooshed in the front.

Has anyone else encountered/solved this issue (without trading in the X3 for an X5)? I know, I know, should have known better, checked before buying the car, etc…
Ads by Google