Thread: S54 Swap
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: what ever starts
Breaking for lunch but the valves have been checked. It was very simple to do. As Zee stated a few posts back, definitely something you can do. When I pulled the cover I noticed dirt on the seals around the plugs.

A little work with the shop vac and a narrow nozzle took car of that. Amazing how much oil is still up here since I have no idea when this thing ran last.

I looked for any signs of unusual wear but did not see anything so I proceeded to start with the feeler gauge. I did the intake side first in order and you quickly get the hang of it.

It's a little dark but you can see the spring, shim, and rocker arm in this shot. Your feeler gauge goes between the cam and the rocker arm. Careful here because you can get the feeler under the arm and you aren't measuring anything.

I just listed the cylinders, 1-6 and a 7 and 9 for each valve, if it was good I circled it, if not I circled and slashed it as the "no" sign. On the intake side I found two valves that need work, both had too large of a gap. On the exhaust side I found two again but one of each. Easier to photo. Here is the 13 feeler "fitting" between the rocker and lobe, it should not.

The little clip in front of bolt just pulls straight up. This allows you to move the rocker out of the way to access the shim.