View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Lets forget at OCIs..beat to death. 10k or 15k, who cares?

But I would be interested to hear knowledgeable opionons on ATF changes (which eliminates the need for replies from any moron saying we need to have 'evidence of benefits' before considering something other than BMWs recommendations)

I find it interesting that BMW puts the ATF change past the end of the CPO warranty (for all practical purposes)...and when you roll in to any dealer with 99,999 miles they will say "look, you dont want to mess with that, it can stir up stuff that can cause the tranny to fail".

My position is that fluids degrade- wear products contiminate- and fresh fluid and removal of crud (at say 30, 40, 50k intervals) is the best plan.

Comments?

A

PS DSX missed the word "prophylactically" when he said 'I would not recommend replacement'..but it was implied and clear to all except one....
If you are looking for confirmation of your approach, send a sample of the fluid off for analysis. My personal experience is that 'lifetime' transmission fluid starts to degrade below spec around the 45K mile point.