Thread: White Smoke
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 08:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X5
I feel like it is and intermittent FM problem also, put in new battery in July, and then had to take to dealer for update of program to match battery. First cold snap of winter indicates battery, but on way to work dash lit up and basically browned out ...slow discharge as if alternator not working. Are the voltage regulators or alternators water cooled? Makes sense with load these cars are under. When I got to the technical center and charged battery, was not getting proper duty cycle on scope at alternator, but had another checking an may not have been making necessary measurements. Will get started again tomorrow in early am. Great cars, but BMW is making a mistake with technology instead of refining their outstanding products, they are attempting to add technology that is costly and almost unnecessary. My 1996 328i is a jewel with 138k and i love it. Previously owned 1984 735i, rear-ended and totaled but saved my daughters life!! Obviously have had to replace hoses, water pump, radiator and necessary evils of a 16 year old vehicle, but an amazing car. Stills rides tight, performs great like all the older inline 6 cars, and smells like a BMW eery time you open the door. That car and my 1974 VW Bus most dependable cars I own. Wish the X5 was this well designed!!! Thanks.