View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 05:44 PM
Ed's E36 in SoCal

Mein Auto: 1997 328i E36
Updates: Looked at fuses and relays under the hood. The #7 fuse appears burnt. It is stated to be for the alarm system (which actually works as far as the alarm going off when I open the door without using the remote control). The big orange "ASC" relay is firmly in place, I can remove and test it with my DMM. I noticed the contacts are pretty clean but covered with what appears to be a "varnish" coating. I thought it may be a protective (dielectric?) grease, but it's hard so I guess it's maybe corrosion. THe contacts are copper, so copper oxide should look dark brown (like an old penney) but this is more of a bright, clear coating like varnish would look. Maybe it's dried dielectic grease? So, I'll [1] replace the #7 fuse, [2] test the relay, and [3] clean the relay contacts with sandpaper and reinstall it. Results later. Any feedback at this point would help....such as, which other relays and fuses could cause the ASC light to be lit constantly whenever the engine is on (no other lights are on)? What about the big orange ABC relay next to the big, orange ASC relay?