View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 05:59 PM
David

Mein Auto: E63 M6 & E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProRail View Post
Does not seem unusual to me. In my experience Japanese cars often pass me in leaving a traffic light. I think they push a little harder. I chuckle.
Your comments crack me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 Ryder View Post
Thanks for the luv . Your Lexus buddy is too busy telling the kill story......just wait until the water cooler meeting tomorrow ...............Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfitz63 View Post
In Lexington...? All the time... With my 1997 GMC Jimmy... Not kidding...

Honestly, I don't know what it is around here; people just drive like that all the time. They're seemingly in no hurry until they think you're about to get ahead of them, then they'll drive 100 mph just to keep you from beating them to the next intersection. Then as soon as they're satisfied that they're impeding your progress, they slow back down to 10 mph under the speed limit. Go figure...

In fact, just a few days ago, I had some jag-off in a POS rice-burner occupying the right-hand lane actually speed up in an attempt to prevent me from merging onto I-64E. When I put the spurs into the ol' Jimmy and moved into the lane from the on-ramp anyway, he grudgingly (well, I'll admit, I didn't give him a lot of choice -- he was practically on my rear bumper) slid over into the empty middle lane on the interstate. The rhetorical question that immediately popped into my head: "Well, if there was space for you to move into the middle lane when I 'nudged' you into it, why didn't you just do that in the first place -- instead of speeding up -- when you saw me coming down the on-ramp with my turn signal on...?" Within a minute, I was cruising at 70-75 mph and he'd fallen back behind me so far that I could barely see him in my rearview mirror -- which told me he wasn't in any particular hurry; he was just deliberately trying to prevent me from merging onto the highway in front of him.

Puts me in mind of a similar encounter I had in Georgetown, TX a few years ago while driving my C5 convertible. I was on Texas SR-29 eastbound, just coming up to the interchange for I-35. Sitting at a light, I was fumbling for something in the passenger compartment, and heard a very loud engine rev from behind me. I glanced up in my rearview mirror only to see headlights and a grill -- all attached to one of those ridiculously-lifted, diesel-powered pickups. He revved his engine again in challenge. Somewhat annoyed, I merely accelerated normally (perhaps a bit spiritedly from his perspective) away from the light to the next intersection (it's a state law in Texas that every traffic light has to work against the previous light so traffic is impeded ), which was at the overpass at I-35. Mr. Pick-up was on my back bumper the entire way. Waiting again at the light, he once again began revving his engine. "This idiot really does want to race," I thought to myself.

The next plan for me was to turn left onto the access road on the other side of the overpass and merge onto I-35N. Now, my mamma didn't raise a fool; I know that some of these heavily-modified, diesel-powered pick-ups can put out some serious horsepower and torque. But they just can't engineer out physics in those things; their center-of-gravity is about 5-6 feet in the air... And my C5 has the Z51 suspension package... So I said to myself: "Hmm. I think I will give him a race -- and I'll ensure victory by exploiting the most obvious flaw in his vehicle..."

The light turned green, I gunned it all the way into the turn lane (~100 feet straight ahead from the light), and Mr. Pick-up bit hook, line, and sinker: he came charging after me without even seeing what was coming next...

I didn't even touch the brakes as I easily threw my C5 around the 90-degree turn from the overpass to the access road. Mr. Pick-up tried to follow. As I was accelerating my way along the access road toward the on-ramp for I-35N, I glanced in my rearview mirror and saw him desperately trying to negotiate that turn without either wrapping his monster truck around the light post or tipping it onto its side...

All too easy...

Sweet M6, by the way! I've toyed with getting one of the "M" cars, either an E46 M3, an E39 M5, or the E63 M6, but can't seem to settle on one or the other. Plus I don't have the garage space at the moment... But it's still fun to dream!
Hey Tim, great to see another Lexingtonian here on bfest. Not too many of us on here. At one point while reading your story about the truck I was sure it was going to crash!

My friend has a diesel Super Duty and he just got some tune that apparently adds 2376234 torques and he swears that he can run with me, but he's always too busy to race.

If you ever decide to move forward with the M6 purchase hit me up on here. I would be happy to let you take a look at mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson1019 View Post
David that story is priceless! I can't believe you let a LEXUS beat you. Wth man you are suppose to be an ambassador for the M6 not letting people think they are slow overpriced grandpa cars lmao

I have people try and race me all the time in little ricers. Its when they do something completely stupid right in front or behind of me when all the fun goes out the window and I have had this happen multiple times. Most times I just let them know how incredibly stupid they are at the red light.
Thanks Anthony! I promise I won't let you down next time. I have been looking for the guy night and day. Shouldn't be hard to spot as he's the only male SC430 driver I can ever remember seeing.

You gotta watch out for those ricers. Pick your battles wisely; you never know what kind of crazy mods they have under the hood.

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Member: BMWCCA #471614