View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 07:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 328i, 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starless View Post
Sounds like a "computer" problem to me. I'd try upgrading the engine software to the latest version (if available) and resetting the transmission adaptations ( I did it in INPA), but see if there are any stored codes.
Starless,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I understood everything you said right through "Sounds like..." .

Seriously, I haven't the foggiest idea how I would go about doing what you're suggesting, nor do I have a clue what INPA is. And I wouldn't know a stored code if it gave me a full frontal dope slap (which would actually be pretty appropriate). Sounds interesting, though.

I called a BMW specialty shop today, and before I completed two sentences, the guys said it sounds very much like my problem is caused by the transmission fluid being low. I did a drain & fill in June of 2011, and looking back, I was perplexed as to why significantly less fluid went back in than what I measured as having drained out. But there was no way I could add any more without it spilling out front the fill plug hole. His theory is that I got the transmission (and therefore the fluid) too hot during the procedure, causing the fluid to expand, and appear to be full, when it really wasn't. He said this is a common mistake that he has sen many times. This, combined with a possible small leak, could explain my symptoms. He recommended simply topping it up with everything cold to see how much I can add, and if it's a significant amount (say, half a quart or more), this could be my problem. Crossing my fingers...